- Masters in Physics – University of Bologna – 2005
- Ph.D. in Physics (Astroparticle) – University of Ferrara & Université Paris VII – 2009
- Bachelors in Theology, Studio Teologico Interdiocesano, Reggio Emilia – 2015
- International Astronomical Union (since 2018).
- Italian National Institute for Astrophysics (INAF) – Associate fellow at Astrophysics and Space Science Observatory of Bologna (OAS), Italy.
Matteo Galaverni was born in 1981 in Reggio Emilia, Italy. After high school in Reggio, Galaverni studied Physics at the University of Bologna. In 2009 he finished his doctoral studies in Astroparticle Physics at University of Ferrara & Université Paris VII with a thesis on “Photon Propagation as a Probe for Fundamental Physics”.
In the spring 2009 he entered the local seminary in Reggio Emilia and started studies in Philosophy and Theology. In 2015 he was ordained a Roman Catholic Priest and defended a thesis on “Plurality of Worlds: a historical study of the interactions between Theology and Cosmology”. He also has an interest in the study of the relationship between faith, philosophy, and science.
Galaverni main interests are in Theoretical Cosmology (Cosmic Microwave Background polarization, Dark Matter and Dark Energy) and Astroparticle Physics (ultrahigh-energy cosmic rays and phenomenological tests of “new physics”). He is also interested in scientific divulgation, education and public outreach (in particular Cosmology and Astrophysics).
Recent Peer-Reviewed Publications
- F. Finelli, M. Galaverni and A. Gruppuso,”Light Bending as a Probe of the Nature of Dark Energy”, Phys. Rev. D 75 (2007) 043003.
- M. Galaverni and G. Sigl, “Lorentz Violation in the Photon Sector and Ultra-High Energy Cosmic Rays”, Phys.Rev.Lett. 100 (2008) 021101.
- F. Finelli and M. Galaverni, “Rotation of Linear Polarization Plane and Circular Polarization from Cosmological Pseudoscalar Fields”, Phys. Rev. D 79 (2009) 063002.
- S.d.S. Alighieri, F. Finelli and M. Galaverni, “Limits on Cosmological Birefringence from the UV Polarization of Distant Radio Galaxies”, Astrophys. J. 715, 33 (2010) [arXiv:1003.4823.
- M. Galaverni, G. Gubitosi, F. Paci and F. Finelli, “Cosmological birefringence constraints from CMB and astrophysical polarization data”, JCAP 1508, 031 (2015).
- M. Galaverni, “Testing New Physics With Polarized Light: Cosmic Birefringence” in The Vatican Observatory, Castel Gandolfo: 80th Anniversary Celebration, Editors: Gionti, S.J., Gabriele, Kikwaya Eluo, S.J., Springer (January, 2018).